Maple cabinets were prevalent in almost every household of the 90s, and no wonder the orange stain is making a comeback today. However, this loud stain leaves homeowners with a traditional kitchen that may not suit modern interior design and look obsolete. So, how do you update your maple cabinetry? With the right hardware color, of course!
The color of your hardware can make or break your cabinets’ aesthetic. However, picking one color among many hardware color options that pair well with maple cabinets can be tricky. So, grab a coffee and leave the rest to us.
We analyzed some color combinations and have curated a list of 12 popular hardware colors, along with some general queries that will help you make a wise decision. So, read on and start designing your dream maple kitchen.
Hardware Color Options That Seamlessly Pair With A Maple Kitchen Cabinet
1. Traditional Tan Knobs, Pulls, And Handles
Tan hardware is an age-old option for maple cabinets and designs a traditional kitchen. Tan complements the warm undertones of maple and offers a smooth transition that accents the glazed wood softly. Generally, it looks the best on light maple cabinets and may not be visible against dark walnut finishes.
Alternatively, you can use similar copper hardware, a darker, more modern version of tan hardware, and design a sophisticated Mission door/cabinet style. However, avoid pairing large copper handles with maple cabinets as they might mismatch and create an imbalance. Use smaller knobs instead.
Here are some of the best materials for tan knobs and pulls:
- Stainless Steel Knobs and Pulls with a Brushed Rose-Gold Finish
- Zinc Alloy Handles Custom-Painted with a Tan Paint by Sherwin Williams
- Oil Rubbed Bronze Knobs and Pulls
- Copper Handles and Knobs with a Satin Finish
2. Exquisite Silver Handles And Pulls
Silver hardware is a great choice to compliment the yellowish tones of maple wood and design a contemporary Craftsman-style kitchen.
Silver looks the best on tubular handles, horizontal drawer pulls, and slender bars, but you can use smaller silver knobs for a transitional kitchen. Finally, complete silver hardware with a dark wood countertop for a cohesive look.
Here are some materials that look as exquisite as silver does:
- Stainless Steel and Brushed Nickel Handles
- Zinc Alloy Handles with a Silver Finish
- Brushed Satin Nickel Knobs
3. Opulent Golden Handles And Knobs
Golden cabinet hardware blends seamlessly with the warmer tones of maple wood and offers a transitional design. It glorifies simple maple cabinets and looks luxurious and sophisticated. A pure golden paint looks the best with a whitewashed maple kitchen cabinet, but closer alternatives like greenish-gold look better with brownish maple wood.
If you have a whitewashed maple cabinet, you can use golden bar pulls or slender handles. On the other hand, if you have an orangish maple cabinet, choose smaller golden knobs to balance the saturation. Finally, curate a typical farmhouse kitchen with an earthy backsplash and stainless steel appliances.
A list of materials that guarantee a golden touch for maple cabinets:
- Polished Brass Handles
- Polished Nickel Handles
- Carbon Steel Pulls finished with Golden Champagne Plating
- Zinc Alloy Handles with Gold Copper Brushing
- Copper Knobs with Brushed Brass Finish
- Aluminum Handles with Gold Oxidation Finish (cost-effective)
4. Classic Black Knobs, Pulls, And Handles
Black handles and pulls add more depth to primitive maple cabinets and design a modern maple kitchen. Black pairs well with all shades of maple- orange-brown, whitewashed, or espresso, and enhances the visual appeal of maple wood cabinets.
Though black hardware completes its style statement with minimal accessories, it goes well with similar granite countertops and grayish backsplash.
However, larger black handles may overpower the look of smaller upper cabinets, and hence, you can choose friendlier, tiny black knobs instead. Alternatively, you can limit the use of black hardware for your kitchen island to curate a look that does not overwhelm.
Here are some of the materials that support a stately black finish:
- Stainless Steel Handles finished with Black Dye
- Black Curved Wire Pulls with Modern Stone-gray Cabinets
- Zinc Alloy handles with Black Oxide Finish
5. Flexible Gray Hardware
Gray is a versatile hardware paint color that offers a subtle contrast to maple wood and looks more balanced. Dark gray paint contrasts the tones of orange-brown maple cabinets and designs a typical farmhouse-style maple kitchen, whereas lighter grays with whitewashed maple look more transitional.
Finally, add a marble countertop and a lot of glass panels for a modern look that steals the limelight.
Here are the best materials for gray cabinet handles and pulls:
- Zinc Alloy Handles with Gray Plating
- Alloy Steel with Gray Polish
- Brushed Nickel handles and Pulls
- Ceramic Handles with Gray Paint
- Aluminum Handles and Pulls
- Satin Nickel Silver Cabinet Pulls
6. Timeless Dark Brown Cup Pulls And Knobs
Dark brown blends well with maple wood and designs a softer farm-house style kitchen. Dark brown handles look cohesive on maple cabinets but add drama with a subtle contrast. Generally, dark brown handles and flat pulls will look the best on traditional maple cabinets, but you can use knobs for the minimal looks of shaker cabinets.
Finally, brown hardware with a white or marble countertop will achieve the aesthetic of a country home, while a wooden countertop will look new-classical.
Here are the best browns for woody maple cabinets:
- Oil-rubbed Bronze Handles and Pulls
- Brown-Colored Leather Pulls
- Walnut Wood Knobs and Handles (Dark Brown)
- Natural Wood Knobs and Pulls with a Walnut Finish
- Ceramic Knobs Painted with a Brown Color
- A Cast Iron Door Knob with a Rustic Brown Finish
7. Elegant White Pulls And Knobs
White is a crisp color that gorgeously contrasts the bold accents of maple wood and curates a Tuscan kitchen design. White hardware tones down the saturation of a maple kitchen cabinet and looks bright, neutral, and clutter-free.
However, white handles require maintenance and might turn pale and yellowish with prolonged use. Hence, you can choose smaller knobs as an alternative to drawer pulls and accomplish balance.
Here are the best materials for white hardware:
- Plastic Handle with a White Finish (budget-friendly, but not long-lasting)
- White Ceramic Handles and Pulls (cost-effective)
- Aluminum Handles and Knobs with a White Finish
- Solid Wood Knobs with a White Paint
- White Porcelain Knobs
- Zinc-Alloy Handles with White Finish
8. Retro Transparent Hardware
Though transparent knobs look vintage with maple cabinets, they make them more bright, clutter-free, and appealing. They pair well with all shades of maple wood – whitewashed, brownish and dark, and achieve a different aesthetic with each.
Transparent hardware looks transitional and minimal with whitewashed cabinets, while it looks more traditional with darker maple wood. Moreover, avoid using transparent knobs if you have a high-traffic kitchen or have children at home, as these are brittle and may break easily.
Kitchen hardware materials that look transparent:
- Acrylic (sturdy and budget-friendly with easy maintenance)
- Plastic (extremely affordable but may turn white with time)
9. Stately Maroon Handles And Knobs
Maroon is a rustic, luxurious color that blends with the bright colors of maple wood and tones them down simultaneously. Maroon hardware designs a typical eclectic kitchen and looks balanced on a maple cabinet door. Moreover, maroon hardware is highly flexible and adapts itself to suit the design style of your choice.
Maroon hardware looks more modern and sophisticated with light maple wood, a marble countertop, and stainless steel appliances. On the other hand, it may look more traditional with orange-brown maple wood, a wooden countertop, and accessories. So, choose wisely.
A list of the best materials for maroon handles and knobs:
- Ceramic Knobs with a Maroon Paint
- Fused Glass Knob with Red dye
- Painted Stainless Steel Handles
- Painted Wooden Knobs and Handles
10. Laid-Back Pewter Green Knobs And Pulls
Pewter Green is an elegant choice for lighter maple cabinets that allow sophistication without overwhelming the look. The paint adds a subtle contrast to maple wood and looks modern and classy. Generally, a Pewter green paint will look balanced when used on slender pulls and handles, but you can choose smaller knobs if you need a minimal design.
Alternatively, you can use the common olive green, a lighter version of Pewter Green, if you want a farmhouse kitchen with a softer contrast.
Here are the best materials for pewter green knobs and pulls:
- Ceramic Handles With Pewter-Green Paint
- Brushed Nickel Handles With A Chrome Polish
- Glass Knobs Fused with Dark Green Dye
- Leather Cabinet Door Pulls
11. Vivid Dark Orange Knobs And Handles
Dark Orange cabinet hardware blends seamlessly with the orange-brown stain of maple wood and looks monochrome with an eclectic design. Orange makes maple cabinets look more dramatic, exciting, and bright. However, if dark orange hardware seems overwhelming, you can choose muted burnt oranges for balance.
Alternatively, limit dark orange hardware for your kitchen island to create a focal point for your maple kitchen without overpowering the look.
Here are some supporting materials for orange hardware:
- Ceramic Knobs Painted with a Dark, Burnt Orange
- Orange Brown Leather Drawer Pulls
- Natural Agate Stone Knobs
- Crystal Glass Cabinet Knobs with Dark Orange Dye
- Wooden Knobs painted with Dark Orange Paint
12. Refined Dark Purple Knobs
Dark purple kitchen hardware adds drama and visual interest to planar maple cabinets and looks modern yet sophisticated. Purple neutralizes the vibrancy of bright maple wood and offers an eclectic look.
Alternatively, you can even use plum purple, a grayish version of the same hue, to balance the look of your upper and lower cabinets while creating a focus for your kitchen island with dark purple paint.
Here are the best materials for dark purple knobs and handles:
- Ceramic Knobs and Handles with a ‘Fully Purple’ Paint by Sherwin Williams
- Glass Knob Fused with Dark Purple Dye
- Stainless Steel Handles with a Dark Purple Finish
- Natural Amethyst Stone Knobs
What Shape Of Cabinet Hardware Should You Choose For Your Maple Kitchen Cabinets?
The shape of the kitchen cabinet hardware is as important as the hardware color to enhance your maple cabinets. Metallic colors generally look good on handles and pulls, and you can choose one depending on your kitchen interior design. Slender handles look modern, whereas intricately carved pulls look traditional. So, it comes down to your style preference.
However, prefer smaller knobs or cup pulls with accent colors as they can overwhelm the look if used in abundance. And, if you are a modern buff and love quirky designs, you can experiment with different cabinet knobs like stones, alphabets, or flowers.
Maple cabinets are an age-old choice for traditional and transitional kitchens that boost visual appeal with dark stains and bold hues. Metallic colors and neutral paints design a traditional maple kitchen, whereas accent colors ooze a vibrant and modern vibe.
Maple wood contains slight tones of cream color, but will maple cabinets and cream cabinets work with the same color hardware? Browse through these hardware color ideas for cream cabinets to find out.