Brown cabinets are a convenient choice for a rustic kitchen design, like the farmhouse or french provincial style. Its clean and crisp texture transforms ordinary cabinets into dramatic home decor. However, brown can also easily overpower your kitchen space. So, how can you neutralize this effect and look urbane? The answer, of course, is the proper hardware color.
Hardware is an essential decorative element for cabinets as it enhances their overall appearance. So, if you want to update your brown cabinetry, we have some unique color ideas to transform your kitchen. Here are the 12 trendiest hardware colors that will add charm to your brown kitchen cabinets.
Hardware Colors That Spruce Up Brown Cabinets
1. Refined Silver Handles, Cabinet Pulls, And Knobs
Silver is a modern and neutral color that looks seamless with all shades of brown – dark, light, or chocolate to design a minimal Craftsman style kitchen. You can use clean and sophisticated silver hardware to neutralize dark brown cabinets and make them bright and balanced.
Pick a high-gloss silver metal finish for a retro look that mimics the yellow undertones of brown and looks warm and inviting. Alternatively, choose matte or brushed nickel finishes for a contemporary and industrial look.
Use silver kitchen cabinet hardware with your upper and lower cabinets and complete a farmhouse kitchen with a wooden or dark granite countertop and stainless steel appliances.
Here are some materials that offer a silver finish:
- Stainless Steel and Polished Nickel Handles
- A Brushed Nickel Cabinet Pull
- Zinc Alloy Handles with a Silver Polished Chrome Finish
2. Gorgeous Gold Hardware – Cabinet Knobs, Pulls, And Handles
Gold hardware is a perfect choice for a colonial yet conventional kitchen design. The yellow undertones of gold complement a brown cabinet and look bright and luxurious. Its crisp metal finish designs an Art-deco style kitchen, while its shine and luster contrast brown beautifully.
Gold hardware might not pair well with a light brown cabinet, but it will look lustrous with dark cabinets. You can use tall, slender bar pulls and flat pulls for a traditional kitchen, but pick curved wire handles and chains for a hint at transitional design.
A list of materials to embrace a golden touch:
- Polished Brass and Nickel Handles
- Carbon Steel Pulls finished with Golden Champagne Plating
- Zinc Alloy Handles with Gold Copper Brushing
- Copper Knobs with Brushed Brass Finish
- Aluminum Handles with Gold Oxidation Finish (budget-friendly)
3. Robust Tan-Colored Kitchen Cabinet Hardware – Handles, Pulls, And Knobs
Orangish-brown, tan-colored kitchen hardware complements the earthy tones of brown cabinets and looks refined. It is a versatile hardware color that works equally well for modern and traditional kitchens and oozes a rustic vibe.
Moreover, the color adapts to various lighting conditions and achieves a different aesthetic with each. Moreover, tan ages beautifully and streamlines luxury. No wonder! Tan cabinet hardware is our favorite companion for a brown cabinet.
Furthermore, polished tan hardware has a weathering effect that makes light brown cabinets more dynamic and modern. Alternatively, you can use oil-rubbed bronze handles with dark brown cabinets for a traditional kitchen design.
Here are the best materials for tan cabinet handles and pulls:
- Oil-Rubbed Bronze Knobs and Pulls
- Brushed Brass Handles
- Aluminum Handles with Brown Oxidation Finish (budget-friendly)
- Oxidized Zinc Alloy Handles
4. Versatile Gray Handles, Cabinet Pulls, And Knobs
If you need a cabinet hardware color that stays timeless, regardless of the chosen design style, then gray is your best bet. It complements the warm browns and designs a minimal eclectic kitchen. Crisp gray hardware looks traditional with dark brown cabinets and modern with light browns, thus adapting seamlessly to various types of kitchen design.
Here are the best materials for gray cabinet hardware:
- Zinc Alloy Handles with Gray Plating
- Alloy Steel with Gray Polish
- Brushed Nickel handles and Pulls
- Ceramic Handles with Gray Paint
- Aluminum Handles and Pulls
- Satin Nickel Silver Cabinet Pulls
5. Stately Black Hardware – Handles, Cabinet Pulls, And Knobs
Black is a trendy kitchen cabinet hardware color to modernize brown cabinets and ooze refinement. Its striking contrast designs an eclectic look that tones the brown and looks balanced. It pairs well with all shades of brown – light, pewter, and chocolate, but looks its best with a softer tan brown like ‘Dormer’ by Sherwin Williams.
However, larger black handles might overpower the cabinets and look uninteresting with your dark brown cabinets. So, go for smaller black knobs to help you achieve a more balanced and cohesive style.
Here are some of the materials that support a black finish:
- Stainless Steel Handles finished with Black Dye
- Black Curved Wire Pulls
- Zinc Alloy handles with Black Oxide Finish
- Solid Cast Iron Handles with a Black Powder Coat
6. Classic White Handles And Cabinet Pulls
White is a chic color to brighten dark brown cabinets and make them more modern and appealing. White desaturates the brown, clears the clutter, and breaks the monotonous earthy tone. Furthermore, though it accents brown powerfully, it designs a crisp country-style kitchen that completes its look with minimal accessories.
Here are the best materials for white hardware:
- Plastic Handle with a White Finish (budget-friendly, but not long-lasting)
- White Ceramic Handles and Pulls (cost-effective)
- Aluminum Handles and Knobs with a White Finish
- A Wooden Cabinet Knob with a White Paint
- White Porcelain Knobs
- Zinc-Alloy Handles with White Finish
7. Uniform Beige-Colored Cabinet Hardware
Beige is a muted brown color to tone down brown cabinets. Beige hardware looks monochrome with light brown, whereas it strikes a soft contrast with dark brown kitchen cabinets. Moreover, it gives you the freedom to design the kitchen style you want.
Beige curates a Scandinavian design with light brown cabinets, stainless steel appliances, and a marble countertop. On the other hand, it will design a farmhouse kitchen with dark brown cabinets and gold faucets.
Here are the best options for beige-colored hardware:
- Ceramic handles or knobs painted with Beige Paint
- Oak Wood Knobs and Handles
- Rubber Wood Pulls and Knobs with a Transparent Stain Or Wood Wax
8. Glossy Transparent Cabinet Knobs
If you need a hardware color that adds a shine to your matte brown kitchen cabinet, then choose transparent hardware without a second thought. This cabinet hardware radiates a gloss when light falls on it but looks seamless otherwise. It looks bright, enhances the visual appeal, and designs a typical mid-century modern kitchen.
Transparent hardware pairs gorgeously with all shades of brown cabinets but seems a little old-fashioned. Hence, pair it with a laminate or marble countertop to look more modern.
However, keep in mind that glass is a brittle material and might not be the wisest choice for a high-traffic kitchen. In such a case, you can go for plastic knobs.
Kitchen hardware materials that look transparent:
- Acrylic (sturdy and budget-friendly with easy maintenance)
- Plastic (extremely affordable but may turn white with time)
9. Vibrant Cherry Red Knobs And Handles
Cherry red hardware enlivens the aesthetic of light brown cabinets and makes them dynamic and exciting. A bright cherry red complements the reddish hues of brown and looks modern with a powerful accent. However, cherry reds do not pair well with dark cabinets, and you can use similar but neutral cranberry accents instead.
Finally, ensure to complete a modern kitchen with a bright backsplash and a white marble countertop.
Here are the best materials for red knobs and handles:
- Ceramic Knob With Red Paint
- Stainless Steel Handles with Red Paint Finish
- Glass Knob fused with Red Dye
10. Animated Pastel Yellow Hardware
Pastel yellow is a toned tint of sunshine yellow that complements the warm undertones of brown and designs an equally snug and comforting brown kitchen. It pairs off wonderfully with all shades of brown – light, dark, and chocolate, but looks more modern with light brown.
However, yellow hardware can easily overwhelm you if used for your entire cabinetry. Instead, use it as an accent color to highlight your kitchen island with a touch of Mediterranean design.
Here are the best materials for pastel yellow pulls and knobs:
- Ceramic Knobs with Pastel Yellow Finish
- Wooden Knobs Painted with Pastel Yellow Paint
- Transparent Glass Knobs with Muted Yellow Dye
- Mellow Yellow Leather Pulls
11. Vibrant Orange Knobs
Orange is an accent hardware color that warms up the earthy brown cabinets with a cohesive look. Orange designs a modern, fusion-style kitchen while contrasting the brown cabinet with a subtle accent. You can get orange handles and pulls in the market, but it is best to pair smaller knobs with brown, as larger orange handles may look dominating.
Here Are Some Supporting Materials For Orange Hardware:
- Ceramic Knobs Painted with a Bright Pumpkin Orange
- Orange Leather Drawer Pulls
- Natural Agate Stone Knobs
- Crystal Glass Cabinet Knobs with Orange Dye
- Wooden Knobs painted with Orange Paint
12. Supple Milk-Green Knobs
Milk-green is a muted version of emerald green to help you design a softer and simpler countryside kitchen. Milk green tones down the earthiness of a brown cabinet and accents softly. However, it needs other accessories like a similar pastel green backsplash and white countertop to complete its look.
Here are the best materials for milk-green knobs:
- Ceramic Handles with Milk-Green Paint
- Wooden Knobs Painted with Milk-Green Paint
- Translucent Glass Knobs with a Light Green Dye
Which Hardware Shape Should You Use For Your Brown Cabinets?
Though the shape of the hardware largely depends on user comfort and personal style, we suggest that you use slender handles with metallic colors and smaller knobs with accent colors as a thumb rule.
Should You Match The Colors Of Your Hardware And Appliances?
It isn’t necessary to match the hardware and appliance colors, but it is important to match their style and cabinet hardware finish for an overall cohesive home depot.
For example, if you have glossy silver handles, you will need similar, shiny stainless steel appliances, and matte ones won’t pair well.
Should You Match Your Cabinet Hardware With Your Drawer Pulls?
Yes, you should match these hardware colors if you want a cohesive and composed design for your shaker cabinets. Slight variations in the shade like – orange-gold and rose gold might work well, but ensure that they belong to the same color family and have the same hardware finish.
Brown cabinetry is an extraordinary addition to any kitchen aesthetic and adapts well to traditional and modern kitchens. The right hardware color – neutrals and accent colors will help you accentuate the look further and steal the limelight for your brown kitchen.
Brown cabinetry is available with several kinds of wood – maple, oak, and cherry. And if you are looking for hardware color ideas for your cherry cabinets, maple cabinets, or oak cabinets, here’s something special for you.