In these modern times, interior design has grown from being mere aesthetic to something that curates the statement for a space. When you have black cabinetry, you already have a refined kitchen design, but your choice of hardware color can boost it further or break it. Of course! Black pairs well with metallic colors, but accent hardware colors might help you set a modern vibe better.
So, what color hardware goes with black cabinets? To help you with the decision, we have listed the top 14 hardware colors, each of which designs a different style with black cabinets. So, without further ado, let us dig into the list.
Hardware Colors That Pair Off With Black Cabinets
1. Contrasting White Knobs, Pulls, And Handles
White is a crisp color that makes a black cabinet look more dynamic, bright, and clutter-free. It neutralizes the slight melancholy of black and looks balanced. White hardware adds elegance to modern black cabinets and designs a fresh, eclectic black kitchen.
You can get white hardware in knobs, flat pulls, and handles. However, smaller kitchen cabinet knobs are too meager to neutralize black and might get overpowered. Hence, you can prefer larger handles and pulls for black cabinets and complete a modern kitchen with a white countertop and backsplash.
Popular white hardware materials to go with:
- Plastic Handle with a White Finish (cost-effective, but not durable)
- White Ceramic Handles and Pulls (cost-effective)
- Oakwood Handles with a White Paint
- Aluminum Handles and Pulls with a White Finish
- White Porcelain Knobs
- Zinc-Alloy Handles with White Finish
2. Seamless Silver Knobs And Handles
Silver is a neutral, contemporary color that pairs seamlessly with black cabinets, irrespective of the color of the other kitchen accessories. Silver hardware accents black softly with a shine that oozes a modern vibe.
Trendy silver handles on jet black cabinets will design an industrial-style kitchen, whereas, on charcoal grays, they will look more of the zen style.
Silver looks the best on slender and slim handles and pulls, but you can go for smaller knobs if you want elegant hardware that does not demand attention. Alternatively, you can explore different finishes like an heirloom silver finish that will look rustic and vintage or a polished one that will look luxurious.
Here are some silver materials that stay timeless and elegant:
- Brushed Satin Nickel Knobs and Handles
- Zinc Alloy Handles with a Silver Chrome Finish
- Stainless Steel Cabinet Handles
3. Classical Tan Handles And Pulls
Tan is a slightly traditional option for black cabinets but appears luxurious and elegant. Tan hardware works the best with undertones of warmer blacks like ‘Black Magic’ by Sherwin Williams and looks cohesive. However, tan might mismatch a cool bohemian black, so pick wisely.
Tan knobs and handles typically design a vintage kitchen. But, they shape a transitional kitchen when completed with a marble countertop and stainless steel appliances. Alternatively, you can expose the screws of your tan hardware and design an industrial-style kitchen cabinet.
Here are some materials for tan handles and pulls:
- Stainless Steel Knobs and Pulls with a Brushed Rose-Gold Finish
- Zinc Alloy Handles Custom-Painted with a Tan Paint
- Oil Rubbed Bronze Knobs and Pulls
- Copper Handles and Knobs with a Satin Finish
- Polished Nickel Handles and Pulls
4. Lavish Golden Handles And Knobs
Gold hardware is a perfect accent color that looks bright, bold, and contemporary with a high-end luxurious finish. A golden cabinet pull works the best to accent kitchen islands but looks royal on upper and lower cabinets.
Gold hardware looks a little rustic with dark kitchen accessories like a granite countertop and stainless steel appliances, whereas it looks more modern with grayish or white elements. Moreover, it creates a focal point for your black cabinetry, striking a powerful contrast.
Golden paint looks the best on sleek handles and pulls, but you can choose curved wire handles and knobs to look more modern. Knobs offer less contrast when compared to pulls, and hence, they look more balanced. In either case, avoid using intricate, carved handles with gold as they look olden with black shaker cabinets.
A list of luxurious materials for golden hardware:
- Polished Brass and Brushed Nickel Handles
- Carbon Steel Pulls finished with Golden Champagne Plating
- Zinc Alloy Handles with Gold Copper Brushing
- Copper Knobs with Brushed Brass Finish
- Aluminum Handles with Gold Oxidation Finish (budget-friendly)
5. Analogous Black Handles And Knobs
Black hardware pairs well with similar black cabinets and looks monochrome yet modern. It is a maintenance-free color that designs an eclectic kitchen and merges with the surroundings. Here, you have an option to go one for dark gray if you do not want the same black shade.
However, black hardware will darken up your kitchen cabinets and might look devoid of light. Hence, ensure that you are adding a lot of bright areas like white countertops to balance the darkness of black hardware. Finally, finish the look with glass panels and design a contemporary black kitchen.
Here are some of the materials that support a black finish:
- Stainless Steel Handles finished with Black Dye
- Black Curved Wire Pulls with Jet Black Cabinets
- Zinc Alloy handles with Black Oxide Finish
- Solid Cast Iron Handles with a Black Powder Coat
6. Resilient Cream Handles And Knobs
The cream is a homely, easy-to-handle color that accents black softly and looks mid-century modern in design. Though cream looks the best with jet-black cabinets, it pairs off seamlessly with charcoal and satin blacks too.
Moreover, cream hardware will appear smooth on textured, dark cabinets and help balance the monotony.
Here are the best materials that allow a cream color finish:
- Ceramic Knobs and Handles finished with Cream Paint
- Oak Wood Knobs and Handles
- Dutch Wood Knobs
- Rubber Wood Pulls and Knobs with a Transparent Stain Or Wood Wax
7. Transparent Glass Knobs
Dark black kitchen cabinets might look understated if your kitchen does not get enough light. In such a case, prefer transparent cabinet hardware that makes your cabinets look bright and elegant. However, these knobs look traditional and will design a transitional black kitchen. Moreover, if you have a heavy-traffic kitchen, these knobs might break and won’t suit your purpose. Instead, you can go for white knobs that offer the same effect with sturdier, non-breakable material.
Materials that look transparent on knobs:
- Acrylic (sturdy and budget-friendly with easy maintenance)
- Plastic (low-budget, but turns white over time)
8. Versatile Wood Brown Handles And Knobs
Wood brown hardware is a modern and trendy option for typical Scandinavian kitchens that look simple but ooze elegance. Brown accents black softly and pairs seamlessly with any shade of black – warmer, cold, or charcoal. Generally, dark brown hardware looks more refined and polished, while lighter brown handles look friendly and informal.
Here are the best materials for brown hardware:
- Oil-rubbed Bronze Handles and Pulls
- Brown-Colored Leather Pulls
- Oakwood Knobs and Handles (Light Brown)
- Walnut Wood Knobs and Handles (Dark Brown)
- Natural Wood Knobs and Pulls with a Walnut Finish
- Ceramic Knobs Painted with a Brown Color
- Cast Iron Knobs with a Rustic Brown Finish
9. Lively Pastel Pink Knobs And Handles
Pastel Pink is a chic, muted hardware color for black cabinets with subtle accents and a fusion-style kitchen design. It softly contrasts the black and makes a black kitchen look more friendly and dramatic. However, avoid using hot pinks for this purpose as they might look imbalanced.
You can pair your pink hardware with a golden underside for a more traditional look that takes you back to the times of the Art-deco. Alternatively, you can use plain pink knobs that design a transitional kitchen.
Here are the best materials for pastel pink knobs:
- Ceramic Knobs with a Light Pink Finish
- Wooden Knobs Painted with Pastel Pink Paint
- Zinc Alloy Handles And Knobs with a Pink Marble Pattern
- Rose Quartz Door Knobs
10. Saturated Cherry Red Knobs
Red is a vibrant cabinet hardware color that adds drama to sober black kitchen cabinets and looks more dynamic. A saturated cherry red will powerfully contrast black cabinetry and design a retro-style black kitchen.
Cherry red looks the best on smaller knobs that do not overpower the look. But, if you prefer handles over knobs, select a dark maroon that achieves more balance.
Here are the supporting materials for red knobs:
- Ceramic Cabinet Knob With Red Paint
- Fused Glass Knob
- Stainless Steel Handles with Red Paint Finish
11. Vibrant Yellow Knobs And Pulls
Yellow is a lively hardware color that strikes a powerful contrast with black cabinets and breaks their monotony. Yellow works as a great accent color for both upper and lower cabinets and looks modern with a fusion design.
However, if bright yellow kitchen hardware makes you anxious, you can limit its use to kitchen islands that hint at Mediterranean kitchen design.
Here are the best materials for bright yellow knobs:
- Ceramic Knobs with Yellow Hardware Finish
- Wooden Knobs Painted with Yellow Paint
- Transparent Glass Knobs with Yellow Dye
- Yellow Leather Drawer Pull
12. Vivid Orange Knobs
Orange hardware pairs gorgeously with black kitchen cabinets and boost the visual appeal of a black kitchen. Orange is an on-trend color that works with warmer blacks, complements their tone, but adds a striking contrast to black shaker cabinets. However, orange might overpower the look when used on larger handles.
Hence, it is best to choose smaller cabinet knobs and design a modern, fusion-style kitchen that looks inviting and exciting.
Here are the best materials for orange knobs:
- Ceramic Knobs with Orange Paint
- Wooden Knobs Painted with Orange Color
- Transparent Glass Knobs with Orange Dye
- Orange Leather Drawer Pulls
13. Serene Light Blue Knobs
Light blue is a calm kitchen cabinet hardware color that complements jet and cold shades of black and looks modern and minimal. It is an on-trend accent color that tones down the saturation of black and makes it more friendly and light-hearted.
Typically, light blues will achieve a minimal design style, but if you want a peppy, nautical aesthetic, it is best to go with closer turquoise and teal knobs.
Here are the best materials to complement blue knobs:
- Ceramic Knob with Light Blue Paint
- Fused Glass Knob
- Painted Wooden Knobs
14. Flashy Multi-Colored Knobs
Multi-Colored knobs give a personality to black cabinets and convert the stately color to a friendlier and more dynamic tone. Colored knobs splashed with a mixture of reds, blues, and yellows, look fashionable and are perfect for modern, eclectic kitchens. Black cabinets accentuate the pop of these cabinet knobs and strike a balance that does not overwhelm them.
Here are the best materials that support a multicolor palette:
- Ceramic Knobs Painted in a Multicolor Palette
- Hand Painted Wooden Knobs
- Metal Knobs with Patterned Surface Glass
- Zinc-alloy Knobs with a Multicolor Glaze
Should You Use Similar Knobs For Both Upper And Lower Cabinets?
You can use different color knobs for your upper and lower cabinets, especially when you have an array of textures as in typical farmhouse-style kitchens. However, if you want to look modern and minimal, you might want to keep similar colored hardware throughout to look cohesive and stripped off from too much distraction.
Should You Use The Same Color For The Cabinet Knobs And Hinges?
As a thumb rule, you should match the color of your knobs with the exposed cabinet hinges. However, if you did not get the exact similar finish, try to keep them from a single color family.
For example, If you have golden knobs, try to use similar golden or bronze hinges to boost visual appeal. Alternatively, if that is not possible, use black hinges against black cabinets straightaway as they won’t be visible and will generate focus for your knobs.
Trendy black cabinets are already stealing the limelight nowadays, but with the right color knobs, they will shape a modern black kitchen that oozes luxury. Black pairs the best with metallic hues and looks rich and sophisticated but may overpower the look. On the other hand, accent hardware tones black and makes it more friendly. Hence, we have a hardware color for any design of your choice.
Black kitchen cabinets might be less flexible than blue cabinets but pairs gorgeously with all the 14 colors from the list. However, if you are looking for hardware color ideas for your blue kitchen cabinets, we have already sorted that for you.