A dark wood floor is a trendy choice to ooze class and extends a bold, dynamic personality to your living room. Durable and dominant, a dark wooden floor exudes a luxurious aura that looks royal and steals the limelight. However, adding furniture with your dark flooring might get tricky due to its deep and melancholic nature. So today, we’ll help you with the same.
Though dark wood floors are rustic and textured, they need a furniture color that enlivens their grains and revamps them with a dramatic pop of color. So, if you want to add a personal touch to your dark flooring, check out these 17 contrasting yet complementing furniture colors, along with some FAQs and tips for fool-proof home decor.
Trendiest Furniture Colors For Dark Wood Floors
1. Exquisite White Color Furniture
White furniture adds a crisp yet stark contrast against the earthy wood tones and is a swift tool to make living rooms bright and spacious. The white color tones the heaviness of dark floors, looking balanced and homey. Overall, white looks minimal and clutter-free but adorns a new-classical style when used on wooden furniture and looks contemporary on metal.
Additionally, a dark repose gray wall color and a soft gray area rug will further accentuate a lovely eclectic look.
Here are some of the best shades to use for white furniture:
- Warm White: A warm white or alternative cream upholstery in linen or cotton gives off a spacious, luxe feel against a dark brown wood floor with a transitional design.
- Cool White: It is a lighter shade that looks modern and eccentric in general but looks even more timeless on stain-free leather upholstery against wooden furniture.
- Eggshell White: Shiny eggshell white steel furniture gives your living room a refined industrial feel and adds more luster to the matte dark gray floors.
2. Elite Gray Couches And Chairs
A sober and straightforward gray upholstery is a perfect option to add a minimal and ultramodern attire to a living room with white walls and dark hardwood flooring. Generally, gray furniture looks seamless with all the shades of a dark wood floor but curates a farmhouse look with brown floors and a monochrome look with gray hardwood floors.
Moreover, dark gray upholstery curate a transitional or mid-century modern living room, whereas lighter gray upholstery looks modern and eclectic. Additionally, you can use light gray furniture to add more depth to your black hardwood floors, but if you have a comparatively lighter floor, go with brownish shades of gray furniture for a rustic look.
A list of the best shades of gray for furniture:
- Blue-Gray: A light blue-gray upholstery in denim or leather gives a retro-modern look with light wood furniture and dark floors of black beech or oak.
- Warm Gray: A lighter upholstery color to give a cohesive, zen-styled living room with muted steel furniture and dark brown floors.
3. Modish Brown Color Furniture
Brown furniture is earthy and homey but results in a lavish living room with a dark hardwood floor. Here, you can either use a similar shade of brown for your dark floors and furniture and curate a monochrome look or pick a lighter or darker shade to add more visual depth and dimension to the space.
You can further match golden furniture legs to make your furniture stand out and add gorgeous complementary curtains with a touch of warm colors to tie the look together. Or, check more curtain ideas for a brown couch or sofa here.
Check out the best shades of brown furniture here:
- Chocolate Brown: A dark chocolate brown rayon furniture upholstery achieves a lavish art-deco style living room with polished metal furniture and rustic dark brown floors.
- Caramel-Brown: Light caramel brown wood furniture gives an off-beat modern countryside look with white walls and dark gray floors.
- Coffee-Brown: Rich coffee brown furniture is the top-notch choice for imperial Baroque style living rooms against dark beech hardwood floors.
4. Supple Cream Furniture
Go for cream furniture for a classy and luxurious new-classical vibe with dark hardwood floors. The cream is not only a maintenance-free furniture color but adds a rich, transitional vibe with a dark floor. Generally, light, yellowish cream furniture looks warm and Mediterranean, while brownish cream furniture looks Tuscan with hardwood floors.
Finally, once you choose cream furniture, add a beige or a light gray area rug and light wood tables to anchor the space together.
Here are the best shades of cream for your upholstery:
- Yellowish-Cream: A yellowish-cream cotton or rayon furniture upholstery makes your living room cozy and close-knit and looks cohesive with brown hardwood floors.
- Buff: Buff is a brownish-cream, more like beige, that adds a subtle contrast to gray hardwood floors but curates a superior villa-like look.
5. A Posh Tan Furniture Color
There’s something charismatic and upscaled about tan furniture. Since it is a bolder furniture shade, it not only adds a subtle pop of color against dark gray hardwood floors but oozes personality and charm that modernizes them further.
Overall, tan furniture looks warm and comforting. Thus, it is an excellent option for a lovely Asian feel in your living room.
Check out the best shades of tan for your furniture:
- British Tan: A British tan velvet or acetate upholstery adds a shiny, high-end look to your living room furniture and looks industrial with dark gray floors.
- Camel Tan: A rustic camel tan polyester upholstery adds an organic, french-country style look with light wood furniture and a brown, dark hardwood floor.
6. Refined Taupe Color Couches And Chairs
Bring an ornate, polished, and mansion-like look to your living room by adding pieces of taupe furniture and complementing them further with weathered steel furniture legs. You can complete your dark gray floors with lighter taupe furniture for an ornate eclectic look. But, if you have a comparatively light wood floor, choose darker furniture for more contrast.
Alternatively, you may opt for a flagstone furniture color for a vintage Georgian look with dark brown floors. Accentuate it further with cream walls and beautiful sheer curtains to invite more natural light into the living room.
Here are the best shades to use for taupe furniture:
- Yellowish Taupe: Wooden furniture of a yellowish taupe color like Pantone’s ‘Taos Taupe’ softens the heaviness of hardwood floors and curates a snug farmhouse-style living room.
- Grayish Taupe: A grayish taupe looks eccentric with dark gray floors but accentuates the modern and minimal appeal with an eclectic living room design.
7. Vibrant Yellow Color Furniture Items
Adding yellow chairs and couches is an intelligent way to bring a sunny and cheery vibe to the living room and invite more natural light to the space. In addition, yellow furniture adds a color blast to a dark hardwood floor and makes it bright and refreshing. This trendy furniture color goes well with gray and dark brown floors and oozes a modern appeal.
Generally, lighter color shades of yellow furniture go well with dark gray hardwood floors, while a deep, mango yellow looks warm and cozy with brown wood floors. Additionally, alternative shades like mustard and yellow-ochre give a layered, cottage-like look to a living room with dark hardwood flooring.
Check out these shades of yellow for a bright, modern attire:
- Mellow Yellow: A mellow yellow polyester upholstery looks shiny, radiant, and eyecatching with steel-framed furniture and gray hardwood floors.
- Deep Yellow: A deep yellow cotton or rayon upholstery curates a warm, Mediterranean living room with wood furniture and brown, dark wood flooring.
8. Jazzy Red Furniture
Although red furniture looks vibrant and flashy, it is the best bet to add a dash of color to the planar hardwood flooring and add a bold character to the living room. Red furniture will add the much-needed oomph to your space while helping you design modern, transitional, or traditional styles with ease, depending on your shade of red.
Generally, bright cherry red steel furniture looks modern and appealing against a gray, dark wood floor, while rose-red wooden furniture looks more traditional. You can further steal the limelight for your red furniture by adding neutral repose gray walls and large clerestory windows to bring in light.
A list of some of the trending shades of red furniture:
- Crimson Red: Crimson red steel furniture adds a dynamic pop to neutral dark gray wood flooring and curates a dramatic, fusion-style living room.
- Cranberry Red: Rustic cranberry red couch with golden legs and deep buttoned upholstery designs a farmhouse-style living room with a brown, dark wood floor.
- Maroon: A deep, maroon faux leather upholstery looks colonial and traditional with wooden couches and dark beech wooden flooring.
9. Vivid Orange Couches And Chairs
Orange is a playful furniture color that steals attention for your living room and adds a bold persona that enlivens the same. It adds a powerful pop of color to gray hardwood floors but looks seamless with brown wood floors. Further, you can explore gray wall colors and engineered wood panels to complement the cottage-style ambiance of orange furniture.
Here are some gorgeous shades of orange for your furniture:
- Scarlet Orange: A regal scarlet orange velvet upholstery looks glossy and fusion-style in design, especially with steel furniture and gray floors.
- Burnt Orange: Burnt orange wooden furniture comprises a farmhouse-style living room with dark brown hardwood floors and primitive couch designs.
10. Soothing Mint-Green Furniture
Mint green furniture is soft, serene, and easy-going, plus it complements the dark tones of hardwood flooring and adds a rich character to the space. Moreover, it gives a nature-inspired Rococo look with brown hardwood floors and curates a modern, industrial look with a gray, dark wood floor and cool white wall paint.
Here are the top shades of mint-green for your upholstery:
- Pistachio (Grayish-mint): A pistachio upholstery in stain-free materials like rayon and polyester curates a transitional look with golden furniture legs and dark brown floors.
- Dark Mint: A dark mint green or alternative sea-foam upholstery oozes a contemporary appeal with gray hardwood floors and dark wood furniture.
11. Homogeneous Black Couches And Chairs
Black furniture might seem like an overpowering choice for dark floors, but it adds a maximal, stately ambiance that does wonders for many modern living room styles. When using black furniture on dark hardwood floors, it’s advisable to use contrasting color furniture legs and light area rugs to add more visual depth.
Additionally, use luminous pendant lights and large bay windows in your living room to invite light and prevent a dark space.
Here are some awe-inspiring shades of black for your furniture:
- Jet Black: A dark shade, Jet black furniture with shiny rayon or velvet upholstery adds a lovely colonial look with golden furniture legs, tan area rugs, and dark gray hardwood floors.
- Charcoal Black: Charcoal black furniture is comparatively glossy and looks industrial with steel legs, white or ivory area rugs, and gray hardwood floors.
12. Serene Blue Color Furniture
Blue furniture looks exceptionally charismatic, playful, and crisp on dark hardwood floors and adds a soft contrast and casual approach to the living room. Generally, bright cerulean blues match with transitional dark gray floors and light color walls, while muted pastel blues go well with coastal houses’ dark brown wood floors.
Overall, a cooler furniture color like blue curates a fresh and calming aura for the living room and adds a little color to the neutral hardwood floors.
Here are some shades of blue to tone down your furniture:
- Cobalt Blue: A vibrant cobalt blue upholstery in natural materials like cotton and wool curates a lovely Georgian look with light wood furniture legs and gray hardwood floors.
- Pastel Blue: A pastel blue furniture upholstery in shiny materials like polyester looks nautical with gray floors and soft, cottage-like with dark brown floors.
13. Peppy Turquoise Furniture Color
Turquoise is a refreshing furniture color that enlivens hardwood floors with a strong accent but adds a calming tropical vibe that shapes contemporary and retro kitchens. Moreover, you can complement your brown hardwood floors with turquoise furniture for a beachy, casual ambiance and nautical design.
On the other hand, you can match turquoise furniture with gray hardwood floors and steel legs for a soft, countryside look. Alternatively, you can even use similar teal or sea-green furniture for a lovely coastal-style living room.
Here is the best shade of turquoise for your furniture:
- Aquamarine Turquoise: Light, aquamarine turquoise furniture curates a new-classical look with golden legs, brown hardwood floors, a muted gray area rug, and light walls.
14. Traditional Navy Furniture
Navy is a bold, dominant, and formal furniture color that looks traditional and colonial but adds a dramatic, luxurious accent to dark wood floors. Navy brings a regal and royal look to textured hardwood floors and balances the look with minimal furniture accessories.
However, since navy is a darker color, it’s advisable to add neutralizing elements like metal furniture legs, light area rugs, and upholstery textures to balance its overwhelming nature.
Here are some stately shades of navy for your furniture:
- Grayish Navy: Grayish navy furniture looks regal and Baroque in design, especially with wooden furniture and dark gray floors.
- Indigo: Dark indigo furniture curates a lovely, Victorian look with dark brown hardwood floors and simple, light wood furniture legs.
15. A Regal Purple Furniture Color
Purple furniture offers a playful, lavish but sophisticated living room and adds a powerful accent that pops out from the dark gray or brown floors. Purple furniture steals the focus of your room and helps you design various traditional and modern styles easily, based on the shade of purple chosen.
Overall, purple is a great accent furniture color that boosts the visual appeal of your hardwood floors and adds a smooth break from their heavy texture.
Check out these shades of purple for a balanced look:
- Raisin Purple: A dark, raisin purple velvet upholstery looks royal, luxurious, and Baroque in style with steel furniture and gray hardwood floor.
- Plum Purple: A grayish plum purple cotton upholstery looks eclectic and straightforward yet gives a layered look to dark brown hardwood floors.
16. Lavish Pink Furniture
Pink furniture is an attractive choice to add a soft, feminine charm and yet give a touch of glamour and class with hardwood floors. Generally, dark shades of pink curate a transitional look with golden furniture legs, whereas pastel shades of pink look modern with stainless steel or bronze furniture framing.
Overall, pink tones down the heaviness of hardwood floors and add a sophisticated persona to the space.
A list of the best shades of pink for furniture:
- Salmon: A darker salmon upholstery in velvet or polyester gives a shiny, art-deco look with golden furniture legs, gray area rugs, and dark brown floors.
- Pastel Pink: A light, pastel pink upholstery gives a modern and industrial look with light steel furniture, brown area rugs, and gray floors.
17. Chic Lime Furniture
Bring a crisp, playful vibe to your living room by choosing some pieces of lime green furniture that help you design various styles like bohemian, fusion, and eclectic. Lime green furniture looks high-end and refreshing with a dynamic contrast to a gray dark wood floor and exudes a class and shine that catches the eye and enlivens the living room.
Here is the trendiest shade of lime to use for your furniture:
- Chartreuse: Yellowish-lime chartreuse furniture designs a modern-day, fusion-style living room and looks gorgeous with dark gray hardwood floors and simple warm gray walls.
Tips For Choosing Furniture With Dark Wood Floors
- Pick lighter furniture colors to make a small living room feel spacious and luxurious, while choose darker furniture to unite a large living room with dark wood floors.
- Choose bulkier couches like Chesterfield and Cabriole with dark hardwood floors, as delicate ones like Futon sofas might look imbalanced.
- Select dark furniture for a rustic, traditional look, and pick light-colored furniture for a modern ambiance with a dark wood floor.
Should you use the same furniture color for all the furniture pieces in your living room?
There is no fixed rule, but it is always better to mix and match furniture colors to avoid a monotone look and ensure a lively space. For example, if you decide to use white couches with your hardwood floors, add a few orange or turquoise chairs to enhance your visual appeal.
Can you use light wood furniture with dark hardwood floors?
Yes. Light wood furniture gives a soft contrast against dark hardwood floors and complements its rich grainy textured and patterned look. However, instead of using crude light wood chairs and stools, it’s advisable to add a light-colored upholstery for a more stylish ambiance.
Dark wood floors add a regal and sophisticated touch to any living room. Their bold persona offers a great backdrop to match different furniture colors and curate different design styles. Thus, you can either achieve a modern, chic look using faint color furniture or create a dynamic living room with darker furniture. And our guide will help you with it.
Sure, white furniture and dark wood floors are a match made in heaven, but we can’t neglect the quirky red furniture and tranquil blue furniture that updates your living room to fit today’s modern times. And, don’t forget to check out our 16 gorgeous throw pillow color ideas for a red couch to furnish your interior design further.